Joe Sam

Did you see my previous email I sent with the source to my new ToolboxDataSource class? How does that look? It works great so far.

Thanx, PLA

Joe Sam Shirah wrote:

   You need something to manage the pooled connections.  That's what
AS400JDBCConnectionPool does.  My suggestion, and I realize it seems
somewhat circular, but that's the way they set it up, is to create a
DataSource wrapper around the AS400JDBCConnectionPool.  So your
app code would get your DataSource and still just call

Connection connection = dataSource.getConnection();

   So there's another layer.  In *your* DataSource, you would implement
getConnection() something like this ( with better recovery ):

public java.sql.Connection getConnection()
{
  try
  {
     return myAS400JDBCConnectionPool.getConnection();
  }
  catch( ConnectionPoolException cpe )
  { // do something  }
}  // end getConnection

   The circularity is that AS400JDBCConnectionPool wants a
ConnectionPoolDataSource, which gets PooledConnections, which the pool
manager manages.  Hip bone connected to the thigh bone.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick L Archibald" <Patrick.Archibald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400" <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 5:56 PM Subject: Re: dataSource.getConnection jt400

Hey Joe Sam

There lies the problem. I don't want to get the connection from an
AS400JDBCConnectionPool. I want to get the connection from the
DataSource so I can use the dataSource.getConnection() method in all of
my beans  whether it is on the 400 or the PC.  From what it looks like I
can't do it.  At least not with a pooled connection on the PC side.  Do
you concur?

Thanx again, PLA

Joe Sam Shirah wrote:

The getConnection() method on
the AS400JDBCConnectionPoolDataSource
still does not return a pooled connection.

  Correct.  I probably wasn't very clear.  Use getConnection() from
*AS400JDBCConnectionPool*.  So, you need to implement a DataSource
that creates an AS400JDBCConnectionPool and gets everything from it.
Take a look at the documentation for AS400JDBCConnectionPool.  Hope that
clears things up somewhat.