From: Jim Pleger [mailto:JPLEGER@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 2:02 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Eclipse + iSeries WITHOUT WebSphere

I work on a Model 170 (purchased in 1998) running V5R1 and Java compiler jdk13.

This is county government, so no hope of upgrading this vintage box; no hope of
WebSphere Express Client, (even though
it is
relatively cheap), no hope of ANYTHING that costs money!

Thanks to David Morris' excellent article, I've gotten Tomcat stand-alone up
and ruuning, and also have been using Ant,
downloaded straight from Jakarta.  Ant works fine too, except it is s-l-o-o-o-w
on the 170.

But Eclipse ... how can you integrate it into AS/400?
I went to Window-Preferences-Java-InstalledJREs,
and added /QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk13/lib/jt.jar, and made it the default JRE.
Compile seems to work OK, but when you try
to run a simple HelloWorld application program, it won't run; just  returns the
message "Exception occurred executing
command line."
Do I need to add other jar files, or change the classpath?
Or something else?

Can anyone help?  Has anyone out there been using Eclipse
with AS/400 / iSeries INDEPENDENT OF WebSphere?  I would SO like to get this to
work!  Writing Java servlets using only
TextPad as an editor is NOT the way to go; I REALLY want to use Eclipse, if
possible.