Ok, I know it is not Java.  If you can suggest where I take this question (Joe,
be
nice...), please do...

I have tried many different syntax versions and it is making me crazy.  I
cannot find some
good examples of how to best do this.

My question is, why do I keep getting error messages to the qsh screen?  Is it
normal?  Can
I suppress them?

The seem to be messages related to the 'failure' code for the tests in the if
statement.
while true
do
   print ""
   print -n "Please enter the TCP port (1-65534) [987]: "
   read -r httpport
  echo "Port: " ${httpport}
if ((${httpport}>65534)) || ((${httpport}<1))
  then
     print "Invalid port number. Please try again."
else
     break
fi

done
Error messages:
  Please enter the TCP port (1-65534) [987]:
> 500
  Port:  500
  /QIBM/UserData/henryk/install.sh: 001-0019 Error found searching for command
  500. No such path or directory.
  /QIBM/UserData/henryk/install.sh: 001-0019 Error found searching for command
  500. No such path or directory.
  Done. Httpport=  500
  $