I have an applet that uses a servlet to call a stored proc to fetch the data
from AS/400.   The stored proc calls another process that goes through a lot of
calculations and writes to a data queue.  The stored proc then reads the data
from the data queue, which can be anywhere between 10 to 900, creates a result
set and sends back to java.   So, the wait time for the user on the browser is
anywhere between 20 seconds to 2 minutes or more! depending upon the filter
they selected.   When it waits for the stored proc, there is no life on the
bowser, it goes into a trance and the user does not know how long it is going
to take.   Now, is there a way, the stored proc can return a set of  data from
the data queue say every 2 seconds, go back to read the data queue and send the
next set of data? ( Because when it returns the result set first time, the
stored proc thread dies at the as/400 end as well as the java end.)  In this
way, I could probably have a status bar on the screen to show the porion
completed and keep the user aware.

Now, I would not want to do a multiple call to stored proc since each call and
select query takes a 2 second more and will only make it worse.

Thanks in advance,
Sudha

Sudha Ramanujan
SunGard Futures Systems