The exception indicates something wrong with the sequence of method calls.
In this particular case, working with a PreparedStatement object that is
closed.  The question becomes who closed the statement.  Turns out  the
Toolbox may have been a little too aggressive cleaning up what it thought
were idle connections.  Another Toolbox user was seeing a similar error
which went away with connection pooling fixes in JTOpen 3.0 or v5r1 PTF
SI02886.

David Wall
Toolbox for Java
iSeries ODBC Driver for Linux

                      Tom Malin
                      <tmalin@csc.com>         To:       java400-l@midrange.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      java400-l-admin@m        Subject:  Everyone familiar with
this error :Function Sequence Error
                      idrange.com

                      04/23/2002 09:21
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

We are receiving this error quite frequently, We are running WebSphere 4.02
on a Win2000 machine using connection pooling to connect to the I-Series
box. The following is the stack trace we are receiving. Thanks Tom

java.sql.SQLException: Function sequence error.
     at com.ibm.as400.access.JDError.throwSQLException(JDError.java:296)
     at
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCStatement.checkOpen(AS400JDBCStatement.java:275)

     at
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCPreparedStatement.setValue(AS400JDBCPreparedStatement.java:1814)

     at
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCPreparedStatement.setString(AS400JDBCPreparedStatement.java:1634)

     at
com.ibm.ejs.cm.cache.CachedStatement.setString(CachedStatement.java:363)
     at
com.ibm.ejs.cm.proxy.PreparedStatementProxy.setString(PreparedStatementProxy.java:151)

     at com.csc.hcg.security.jdbcprovider.JDBCEngine.findUser(Unknown
Source)
     at
com.csc.hcg.security.jdbcprovider.JDBCServiceProvider.findUser(Unknown
Source)
     at com.csc.hcg.epower.services.SecurityLoginService.process(Unknown
Source)
     at com.csc.hcg.epower.ejb.SecurityServicesEJB.login(Unknown Source)
     at
com.csc.hcg.epower.ejb.EJSRemoteStatelessSecurityServices.login(EJSRemoteStatelessSecurityServices.java:81)

     at com.csc.hcg.epower.ejb._SecurityServices_Stub.login
(_SecurityServices_Stub.java:265)
     at com.csc.hcg.epower.taglib.ServicesTagBase.doStartTag(Unknown
Source)
     at provider._doLogin_jsp_0._jspService(_doLogin_jsp_0.java:157)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:142)
     at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:300)

     at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:430)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:565)
     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager.java:827)

     at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.
_service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:167)
     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:297)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:110)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java:472)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletManager.java:1012)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManager.java:913)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:523)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:282)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:112)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:91)
     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.java:184)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:67)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:122)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:315)

     at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.http11.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:60)

     at
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:323)

     at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:252)
     at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:122)