If you have not used crtnewinst script to create additional administrative
instances (which I am pretty sure you have not), then you can take
*DEFAULT.   This equates to specifying "default"  which is the default
administrative instance that ships with the WebSphere Application Server
product.  The administrative instance name is the name of the subdirectory
under /QIBM/UserData/WebASAdv under which some of the configuration for the
administrative instance is stored.

When the product is installed, the /QIMB/UserData/WebASAdv directory
contains directories "default" and "service".  The "default" subdirectory
represents administrative instance default.  The "service" subdirectory is
NOT an instance, but is used by the WebSphere startup code. If you were to
create an additional administrative instance named "myinst", subdirectory
myinst would be created.  If you were then setting up iSeries Access for
the Web and wanted to use the new administrative instance, I believe you
would specify "myinst" as the administrative instance.

Do they not have any help associated with the parameter?

Frances Stewart
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries 400
IBM Rochester

                      P.Goovaerts@Clipp
                      er.Be                    To:       java400-l@midrange.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      java400-l-admin@m        Subject:  Websphere
Administrative Instance
                      idrange.com

                      03/12/02 08:25 AM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

Sorry but it's still unclear for me...

We have 1 WebServer running.
When I look into console I see the following tree:
WebSphere Administrative Domain
-- AdminApplication
-- CONTINENTALLINES.SEAGHA.COM
-- default_host

where 'Continentallines.seagha.com' is a 'Node'.
where 'default_host' is a 'Virtual Host'

Now we are asked by the iSeries Access for the Web to give the
'Administrative Instance Name'

Can we just take '*default' ?
Or should we use the name which relates to WebSphere Adminstrative Domain
which is the hostname defined on AS400?

Patrick Goovaerts

For all intents and purposes, but not exactly:
It is the same as a node if you are using an administrative instance which
is an "admin agent" or if your using an administrative instance which
shares (specifies the same admin.dbSchema value) the admin repository with
another administrative instance.

If the administrative instance is using its own unique administrative
repository it is the same as a WebSphere Administrative Domain (one level
up from a node), but that is kind of just semantics for most.