From: Brad Stone [mailto:brad@bvstools.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 4:09 PM
To: java400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Java and Relations DBs..

> Check out WebSphere.  I lose track of all the
> distinctions involved between
> the various levels of the product (since I don't have to
> pay for it ;-) ),
> but I think you'll find connection pooling is available
> in WebSphere and
> probably at all levels of it.

I would, but I don't want my applications to rely on
Websphere or any other package.  I want to make sure they'll
work (at least sufficiently) on all apps.  A smaller shop
may not have those resources, and use something like what I
am with MSAccess as the DB.

So I guess what I'm asking is, will it hurt anything if I do
write my own pooling procedures and the driver I'm using
already impements pooling?

I understand as the data grows, the performance will suffer,
but that is the case with almost any application (although I
must admit RPG and the iSeries do a pretty good job, since
the DB is so nice).