Information comes from this mailing-list and the newsgroups at ibm :
     "news.software.ibm.com"
you can select on :
     ibm.software.code400
     ibm.software.vajava.ide
     ibm.software.websphere.studio
     ibm.software.websphere.studio400
     etc...
which is freely accessible with a 'newsreader'.

I have to check it out but I thought the WSAD was at level 1.3?

Correct, on-time information directly from IBM to the customers
never was IBM's strength...  On the other hand I have to admit
that they put much effort into making information available
on the net :
iSeries:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info/apis/alpha.htm
WebSphere Studio:
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/studio/

And now, after getting info about the new Studio,
suddenly Eclipse popped up.  I read someting about
'based on open standards', 'Open source',...
Is it an alternative for Studio?

Patrick

                    "David Morris"
                    <David.Morris@plum        To:     <java400-l@midrange.com>
                    creek.com>                cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: VAJ 4.0 editions
                    java400-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    16/12/2001 15:13
                    Please respond to
                    java400-l

Patrick,

I hope you are right an VA/Java is not being
abandoned. Where did you get your information?
I have used VA/Java EE for a while now and follow
the VA/Java News group. I don't understand why,
as a registered user of two copies of that product,
IBM has not contacted me in any way to let me know
what is going on. I have been told that VA/Java will
never go beyond the 1.2 JDK. I have also been told
that the VAJ's VCE and Debugger will not be part of
Eclipse, but a third part could add this support.

I don't care much about the VCE, but the Integrated
Debugger is far ahead of the other products I have
tried. The repository is the other cool feature.
Since no one else has these features, Eclipse may
be the way to go. Without the Debugger, VCE, and
Repository, VA/Java is not worth using. The editor
is far behind Code/400, there is no scripting, the
code generation and formatting utilities are limited
and buggy. My main wish is that Eclipse will have
the integrated debugger, which is way ahead of the
distributed debugger.

David Morris

>>> pgoovaerts@pandora.be 12/15/01 03:16 AM >>>
AFAIK, there will be 2 development kits:
- one for WEB-development
- one for the application-developer. (+WEB)

also AFAIK, VaJava will NOT be abandoned by IBM.
All but VCE is integrated in the new WSAD toolkit.

There's no need for VAJAVA EE when:
- you don't use EJB's
- you don't need the shared repository

However, because it's integrated in the toolkit,
we will not have the choice anymore... and here I could be wrong...

Patrick Goovaerts
IT/Clipper Support