To apply this technique to my example, put the source in directory mypackage
and compile the way Paul outlined:

"javac mypackage/Class1.java"
"javac mypackage/Class2.java"

This would have accomplished the same thing as what I did with the
compile-and-move.  I used to do it the way I outlined in my first message
because I hated having source in a bunch of different little directories.

Joe