After 4 day's of searching, writing mails, trial and tests... I found the
reason right under my nose...  I decided to try emulate the problem in
VAJAVA with Debugger.  This allowed me to find and read the complete
errordescription and explanation of this code 7008.    Error SQL7008, cause
(3) : JOURNALLING!

Yes, I never work on productionlibs directly when creating new
applications.  Surely not when it's in a domain which I'm still learning
(only working on it for a year...) and which is so complex as the whole
internet/intranet application development.  In other words : Java, Html,
SQL, Application Server, VAJAVA, Studio,...  I created a testfile in a
testlib on our AS400.  These are not journalled and therefore I cannot
update records in these files without commit(true) !

And, believe this or not...
When I was moving my lib and files in a journalled environment, I got a
message from Bruce Jin asking me if this file was journalled!  grrrrrr....
Should have put this question into java400-l@midrange.com 4 day's
earlier...