Buck, this is hardly ignorance.  It is instead one of the crucial points of
designing OO business applications.  The datasource concept I presented in
my previous post is the wahy to avoid that particular pitfall.  By dividing
your application into tiers - application, object and data - you effectively
separate your application from you database layout.

This technique is especially important in the case where the database is
fundamentally different.  This can even happen on a single platform, say,
during a merger.  By using a different data source for different objects,
you can actually treat them the same in your application.  Of course, you
will have to write different methods for the data sources, but you'll have
to do that at some point.  The best place to do it is in a single,
encapsulated location, rather than strung out all over your code.

Joe