From: java400-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:java400-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Blair Wyman
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 1:51 PM
To: java400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Servlet Load Times under WAS on an iSeries!

I must admit that the hardware aspect didn't occur to me at first, though
the long startup time -- relative to total run time -- seems somewhat
incongruous.

It might be worth watching WRKSYSSTS to see if the storage pools appear
fairly balanced as the servlet runs.  (Thrashing is a potential problem on
any '400 if the pools aren't properly balanced.)  Also, knowing the
Version/Release/Modlevel of the operating system could still be helpful.

-blair

Blair Wyman -- iSeries JVM -- (507) 253-2891
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I was born not knowing, and have had only a
little time to change that here and there."   -- Richard P. Feynman

                    "Joe Pluta"
                    <joepluta@PlutaBro       To:
<java400-l@midrange.com>
                    thers.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: Servlet Load
Times under WAS on an iSeries!
                    java400-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    09/12/2001 11:19
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    java400-l

I talked to Sal about this offline, just to make sure I understood, and we
came to the conclusion that it's probably his machine.  Sal's running a
270-2248, and we've both heard whispers that it doesn't have an L2 cache,
unlike my 270-2250.  Also the 2248 has a CPW of 150, and the 2250 has a CPW
of 370, and my machine has twice the memory of Sal's.

All these together make my machine run maybe 10 times faster on an initial
servlet load.  There's little or nothing that can be done about that, short
of preloading the servlets.

I think we'd all appreciate hearing from anybody else about this,
especially
the L2 cache issue.

Joe