  • Subject: RE: JDBC Data Source
  • From: "Richard Dettinger" <cujo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:15:33 -0500

Note:  when throughout this note, when I talk about there being a
DataSource class (like DB2DataSource), I really mean to suggest that there
is a complete suite of DataSources classes around that same base name (like
DB2ConnectionPoolDataSource and all the other stuff).

Which JDBC driver are you going to use?  DataSource classes are specific to
the driver they work with.  The native JDBC driver has a DB2DataSource and
DB2StdDataSource class which can be used to create connections (you would
want to use DB2StdDataSource as the DB2DataSource is a non-standard variety
from before there was a complete standard).  I think there is a prototype
of a connection pool implementation that uses them shipped with the driver,
but I would suggest you build your own pool if you are going to use these
(its not very hard).  That is what websphere does (which is why I never
wrote the complete pooling module in the first place).

The Toolbox JDBC driver has an AS400JDBCDataSource class which does the
same thing with toolbox connections.  They also have a class called
AS400ConnectionPool which is an implementation of a pool (I think).  I will
leave it up to someone else to explain it in more detail or you to read the
javadoc for it or ask more specific questions about it.  Here is something
interesting though... you could probably specify the Toolbox connection
property of driver=native and use the AS400JDBCDataSource class to
implement a native JDBC connection pool.  I don't know that it would work,
but I can't see an immediate reason why it wouldn't/shouldn't.

As far as running a naming service, in stand alone applications, I have
always used JNDI and the fscontext support (I think that is still a
seperately availble jar file).  The fs stands for file system and it allows
you to run JNDI over the file system.  So I persist my datasource to some
common IFS directory and load it from there to create the pool.

Finally:  I wrote a new set of data source classes for the Native JDBC
driver in v5r1 which I will be discussing in an article in the September
issue of News/400.  They are UDBDataSource, UDBConnectionPoolDataSource,
etc.  They are designed to support connection and statement pooling
completely transparently to the running applications that use them (read
the JDBC 3.0 spec available from Sun's website if you want to learn about
statement pooling and how it works).  This new feature does have all the
pooling support available (the pool gets created internally based on the
DataSource properties).  There is no XA support in this new feature yet,
but that will likely be in our next release.  If people are interested in
seeing some of the source code for the article that creates/uses the new
support, send me an e-mail and I will forward some examples to you (as I
get them written, that is).  There is some thought of allowing this new
DataSource feature work with both Native and Toolbox JDBC drivers, but I
have not done any work in that area just yet.

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

"Biologists have a special word for stability -- dead"

                Larry Wall
                Open Source Developers Journal
                Issue 1, Jan  2000

"Patrick L Archibald" <Patrick.Archibald@HOMETELCO.COM>@midrange.com on