  • Subject: Re: How to lookup Qshell error messages?
  • From: "Bruce Jin" <brucej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:34:59 -0500

Very interesting. Thanks Simon.

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Coulter <shc@flybynight.com.au>
To: JAVA400-L@midrange.com <JAVA400-L@midrange.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 6:49 PM

Hello Bruce,

You wrote:
>I found   QSHMSGF in QSHELL but I Don’t know how did you look up text for
>error 3489?

The errno values are documented in the errno.h include file and in the
documentation for the APIs which generate them (See the Unix-like API
manual).

However, since this is an AS/400 we are dealing with, and for the most
part they exhibit good design, someone has had the foresight to create
real message descriptions for the errno codes.  The messages are in
QCFPMSG.  Simply prefix the errno with CPE and display the message.  For
example:
DSPMSGD CPE4389

Since these messages originate from Unix platforms they usually cover a
multitude of sins and generally don't have very helpful second level text.
It is nearly always necessary to infer the real problem from the errno by
trnaslating mentally from Unix terms to AS/400 terms.  Sometimes you will
be lucky and see an AS/400 error message in the job log prior to the
errno.

Regards,
Simon Coulter.