  • Subject: RE: VisualAge for Java
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 21:24:35 -0500

Title: RE: VisualAge for Java

In my opinion, the idea of two people working on the same class is in itself flawed. The whole idea of a class is for it to be a small, self-contained piece of code whose inner workings are controlled and owned by a single person. Of course, someone else should understand it, in order to avoid the "hit by a bus" situation, but the idea of two people independently modifying the same class at the same time is, to my thinking, wrong for a number of reasons:

1. No class should be big enough to require that two people make simultaneous changes. Instead, all requirements should be given to the class's owner, who should implement them. Simultaneous modifications without central management is a recipe for disaster in any software project.

2. A class may have side effects within it that one programmer knows and the other doesn't; this is the nature of object-oriented programming. No user of the class cares about the side effects, because their only contact to the class is thorugh the interface, but anybody actually changing the code may not know the ramifications and break something.

3. Unless there is a standard test suite that one can run a class through to ensure that it is not broken, nobody should change someone else's class. Since objects have state, you must test the various states, and any class large enough to require multiple programmers is going to have many, many possible states.

People who insist on running distributed development projects using project management techniques that made sense for monolithic green-screen programming are missing the point - object-oriented, dsitributed development is a completely different environment than I grew up with in the traditional midrange platform.

Joe