  • Subject: RE: Understanding Implements
  • From: "Joe Teff" <JoeTeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:06:33 -0600

To follow up on the Airplane vs Automobile thought. I have my application up
and running. Now someone wants a totally new class that can also use the
GenerateSounds program. By implementing Noisable and coding a blareItOut()
method in this new class, I can use the GenerateSounds program without any
changes to it.

Think if you had a shipping program that accepted a Vector of OrderDetail
objects. What if you wanted to use the same program for shipping marketing
materials but didn't want to make a change to your Sales Order system to
accomodate transactions that really weren't sales orders. If OrderDetail
implemented Shippable and MarketingDetail implemented Shippable and the
shipping program accepted a Vector of Shippable objects, you could use the
same shipping program for orders or marketing materials. It also means you
can easily use it for other things very easily.

Interfaces provide for a deeper encapsulation than data or behavior. It
really encapsulates (read hides) implementation. You are actually hiding the
type of object it is. Anything you can hide, you can easily change!

To take it a step farther, OrderDetail is an abstract class. The concrete
classes are FinishedGoodItem and DropShipItem. Most of the data and methods
are implemented in the class OrderDetail, but a few have to be implemented
in the subclasses because it is specific to thier nature [like
calcAvailableToShipDate()]. The Vector of OrderDetail objects are actually
FinishedGoodItem objects and/or DropShipItem objects. Users of the
OrderDetail don't have to know which, they use them interchangably. Yet they
behave differently. I need to add another kind of item. I create a new
class, extend OrderDetail and implement only that which makes it unique. All
programs except the one that interfaces with the database use OrderDetail
unchanged.

That's the benefit of abstraction, inheritance, encapsulation and
polymorphism.

Joe Teff