And this, Larry, I wholeheartedly concur with.  When someone says how slowly a
Java application runs, I usually find that the program is trying to do
something Java is not good at.  Examples:

Decimal arithmetic.  The BigDecimal class simply does not, nor do I think it
ever will, perform as well as native packed decimal arithmetic in RPG.  Now, if
the OS/400 compiler could optimize BigDecimal into packed fields with a
particularly intelligent native optimization, that would be different, but
until then I have a feeling that something as simple as adding a dollar and a
half to a total amount 100 times will be much slower in Java.

Database I/O.  Even with the native driver, SQL is still inherently slower than
native DB2 access for inserts and updates.  It may be faster on certain
queries, but in general, business transactions that require database I/O still
perform better with native DB2 than with SQL.  Even certain non-homogenous
queries, such as navigating through a hierarchical table of promotions and
deals (based on customer or order type or item number or customer and item
number or ...) are much faster with native DB2 than with SQL.

Now, with decimal arithmetic and database I/O being two places Java
underperforms, it's clear to me that RPG is still the language of choice for
business logic servers, and that's why I keep repeating myself that my
architecture of choice is Java UI connected to RPG servers.

Joe