Joe,  Looks strangely like a Window INI file.  Why invent a new name.. call
it INITable?  ~:-}

Nick

"Joe Pluta" <joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com>@midrange.com on 02/09/2001
05:14:59 PM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com

Sent by:  owner-java400-l@midrange.com

To:   <JAVA400-L@midrange.com>
cc:

Subject:  RE: Source Evaluation?

Joe, this technique of using properties files is really great.  I'm
thinking, however, of extending it a little bit.  Let me know what you
think:

I'd like to create a "Categories" object that has, basically, a hashtable
of
Properties objects.  The key to the hashtable would be a category ID.  The
category ID would then allow something like this:

    [UIProperties]

    font=Arial
    size=12pt
    color=blue

    [Database]

    driver=com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver
    url=jdbc:as400://web400
    user=jdbc
    password=jdbc

The load method would be the same:

    Categories cat = new Categories();
    cat.load(new FileInputStream("system.properties"));

But the access would one of two forms:

    cat.getProperties("Database").getProperty("url")
        -or-
    cat.getProperties("Database", "url")

What does everyone think?  And if you like it, is Categories a good class
name, or can someone think of something better?