Paul,

Sorry, disregard my previous email.

Thanks for the input. I tried your suggestion but the results were not positive. Maybe I should state the problem in a different way: How can I do something like this in java:

D $69             S              1A   inz(x'69')

This a RPG declaration of a character variable $69, one byte long, initialized to  x'69'.

When I write the "\u0001", I seem to be getting something that looks like the STX character X'01'.

Regards

Teresa