  • Subject: Re: JT Open and Java Tool box classes
  • From: "Dave Wall" <dawall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:46:29 -0600

JTOpen considerations.

   Functionality.  Today you can use JTOpen instead of classes from the
   Toolbox licensed program (LP).  For the most part it goes the other way
   as well.  The big difference is timing.  You will see new function in
   JTOpen before the function comes out in the licensed program.  So, if
   you want to use some new widget in JTOpen 2.0 but your CEO says you
   cannot use any open source code, you will have to wait until that widget
   comes out in a release of the licensed program.

   Notice I start the section with "today".  Right now all of the core
   Toolbox classes are written by the IBM development team.  Someday we
   hope to get submissions from developers in the open source community.
   That function would only be in JTOpen.  At that point there would be a
   functional difference that would not be resolved the next time the LP is
   released.

   Also, a function is put in open source only when it is done from the
   developer's point of view.  I don't want to give the impression we dump
   function into JTOpen as an alternative to a beta program.

   Support.  The LP is supported like any other iSeries licensed program.
   If you find a problem you call support and get a fix via a PTF.  You
   have some leverage because of the way IBM supports LPs.  Open source
   also has a defect reporting / fix mechanism via the open source web
   site.  You do loose the leverage that comes with an official LP,
   however.  In reality, today the biggest difference between the two is
   timing.  The open source fix is often available in a couple of days
   while the official LP PTF comes out on the Toolbox service pack schedule
   (current schedule is one PTF every six months).  The worst case is if
   you just miss a PTF you can get an open source fix in days while an
   official PTF will take up to six months.  Obviously you have a fix much
   sooner to test and work with but unless you have a big stick you will
   have to wait for the PTF.

Summary -- the Toolbox team is working very hard to make Open Source work.
Today there really is no difference between the LP and JTOpen except when a
function or fix becomes available.  The same developers write and support
the code.  By using open source you get new function and fixes faster, but
you do give up the official channel for fixing problems.

David Wall
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

Madhavan <seawolf00@yahoo.com>@midrange.com on 01/12/2001 12:08:34 PM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com