  • Subject: RE: Supressing all screen/print output
  • From: "Eyers, Daniel" <daniel.eyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:24:50 -0700

With all due respect, it sounds like you have a bigger problem than trapping
messages.  If you could insure that things are properly tested *before* they
hit production, you would have significantly fewer issues to be concerned
with.  Change management is an important control point for *every shop*; it
shifts the burden of discovery to a point *before* the user community is
affected.  While change control *is not* a panacea, it *does* make
management of systems significantly more proactive in nature.  The Software
Engineering Institute (SEI) at Carnegie-Mellon (http://www.sei.cmu.edu/) has
a maturity model to define and help improve a shop's capability; the second
level of improvement identifies the need for a change management control
process.

As developers, we tend to look to technology to solve our problems. We must
balance this with the needs of the business, as well as defining and
increasing our shop's own capability to provide quality deliverables to our
users.  Developers (and IT mangement) must be pragmatic enough to realize
that sometimes, "good enough is good enough."  IMHO, the entire
implementation of Java and the IFS as it exists on 4r4 is less than optimum;
for now, however, it's the only game in town and I have to use it.  We've
learned that 90% of our issues are the way we work, not an issue with
technology.

For our email application, we trap everything we can and println error
constants that stand out (i.e. ****ERROR:).  Then, we can scan the PF
generated by the OVRDBF looking for errors.  It is not the most robust
solution but it has served us well. In essence, it is quite similar to what
many people do with batch FTPs.

Sorry for the long post; I've been watching the election returns and after
all the speeches, I think something rubbed off.

dan