  • Subject: Re: Performance problems using dataqueues to NT.
  • From: dawall@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:17:29 -0500

Unfortunately in a case there is a two second delay.  The flow is:
     The application calls the read with wait method on the Toolbox DQ
     object
     Toolbox sends a DQ read request to the server
     The server checks the queue.  If a matching entry is on the queue it
     is returned.  If not, go to step 3
     If a matching entry is not on the queue the server checks the socket
     to see if the client decided cancel the read.  If nothing new is on
     the socket the 2 second wait happens.  During this wait no events are
     presented to the server, so if something gets on the data queue a
     millisecond after the 2 second wait begins, we don't know until after
     the 2 second wait.  A lot more is going on but beyond the scope of
     this discussion.

So, the two second wait in step 4 has to do with the way the server waits
for an entry to show up on the queue.

I am not having a lot of luck convincing the server folks to change their
design.  Our experience has been that this happens only on a read with
wait.  The wait is almost always greater than 2 seconds.  If you are on the
server side you say based on the API called, the app seems to be willing to
wait over 2 seconds for the data.

While the discussion goes on there are a couple things the client can do.
If data "usually" arrives in less than two seconds you could wait before
doing the read, or read, wait on client, read.  In each case the DQ read
should not wait for data.  If no item is on the queue the Java side should
get control without data.  Not great solutions but this could eliminate
some of the delay.

David Wall
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

Henderson Mads Peter <maheo@wmdata.com>@midrange.com on 09/27/2000 05:31:28