  • Subject: RE: Preferred method to access databases from Servlets
  • From: Jim Mason <JEMason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:38:25 -0400

Hi all...

2 cents more on Java strategies for cross platform development and
performance.
I've built Java applications that were optimized when moved to the AS/400
with
CRTJVAPGM nicely to build good executables.   The SAME Java code was
also COMPILED into an executable for Windows platforms using IBM's
High Performance Java compiler in the Enterprise version of IBM VisualAge
for Java.
This worked very well for Windows for the stuff I built.
Bottom line: for many Java applications you can get compiled versions that
run
on multiple platforms while preserving common Java code EASIER than
ANY other environment I've been associated with ....   In one language
and environment I can build for: AS/400, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc....

Jim Mason

Message text written by INTERNET:JAVA400-L@midrange.com

Ok, I don't want to continue with this discussion as it seems to be
something of an issue of how we choose to see things, but the AS/400 will
run CRTJVAPGM under the covers the first time a class file is run, create
the binary, and use that for future runs (if you specify the prompts that
way on the java command).

When you move the class file to any other system in the world, it continues
to work and that platform can determine how it chooses to handle that
execution.  Or you can use other tools to build executables for that
particular platform (it just isn't automated on other platforms).

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

"TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why
WILL you say that I am mad?
The disease had sharpened my senses, not destroyed, not dulled them. "

- Edgar Allan Poe
"The Tell-Tale Heart"

Eric Merritt <cyberlync@yahoo.com>@midrange.com on 09/20/2000 08:36:14 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com