  • Subject: as/400 direction for jdk 1.4 support
  • From: "Alex Garrison" <agarrison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:27:25 -0400

Sun has released a doc describing what they intend to include in jdk1.4.
Among other things is the ability to support "headless" AWT, meaning you
could use AWT features without having gui support (like on the as/400).
This would allow people like me to build screens in servlets and jsp's to
present back to a browser (graphs...).   Anyone know or care to speculate on
whether IBM plans to support this (rough dates maybe) -- I suppose IBM will
have to support this if they plan to support jdk1.4?

Excerpt from Merlin doc:

[support "headless" Java
ID: 4281163 Release Driver
'Headless' operation refers to the ability to run a Java program without a
monitor, mouse or keyboard. In unix environments, it usually means that X
or an equivalent windowing system does not have to be present.
Headless Java operation would mean that a server side Java program should be
able to use the full J2SE or J2EE API without a GUI environment being
present.
This means that all AWT calls to manipulate components, graphics, fonts,
printing etc. should be functional.]

You can read this doc yourself at
http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr059/index.html

Alex Garrison