  • Subject: Re: java........400 or java/400
  • From: cujo@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:35:21 -0600

Sorry that no one responded to your question.  I was out last week or would
have before this.  The problem here is that you are using the "Native" JDBC
driver to attempt the connection.  The problem is that once you download
the applet into the browser, it is running on the PC (client, excuse me).
The native JDBC driver has no network layer built into it and therefore
can't connect from a non-AS/400 client to the AS/400 backend.  The native
JDBC driver is designed for optimized AS/400 direct database access
(although we might add further functionality in the future).  The following
lines are from your first note:

c = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:db2:*local");
c = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:db2:"SYSTEM_NAME");

What you want to use for your URL here is the "jdbc:as400:"SYSTEM_NAME".
The "jdbc:as400:..." URL will use the Toolbox JDBC driver to do the
connection.  The toolbox JDBC driver will use a socket connection to
connect directly to the AS/400 Host Servers (it is a type 4 - pure JDBC
driver).  This should fix your problem.

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

"TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why
WILL you say that I am mad?
The disease had sharpened my senses, not destroyed, not dulled them. "

- Edgar Allan Poe
"The Tell-Tale Heart"

Raghavendra Rao <raghavendra_rao@yahoo.com> on 03/16/2000 11:07:39 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com