  • Subject: DB Files Locks when accessing DB Tables on AS/400 from Session/Entity Beans
  • From: "niranjan soni" <niranjan_soni@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:32:45 PST

Hi All

We are accessing database which is on AS/400 using Session Beans as well as
Entity Beans which are residing on Websphere
Application Server 3.0 AE which is installed on NT.
What we are seeing on AS/400 is that the DataBase files/tables which are
accessed from Session Beans or the files/tables to which the Entity Beans
are mapped get locked once the Transaction starts, the lock is accroding to
the Transaction Isolation Level that we specify for our Enterprise Bean.
For example READ_SERIALIZABLE does Exculsive Read Lock and Shared No Update
Lock on the file.

But when the Transaction ends these locks are not released and remain there
on the files accessed with in that Transaction. Our understanding is that
the locks should get released once the Transaction is over.

We are closing connections, resultset in our session beans( where ever we
are data base access from the Session Bean it self.)
Also once the job of one Session Bean is done we remove the Session Bean
calling the remove() method on the Remote Interface Reference.

Are we going wrong somewhere or is this the way Websphere works. Our
understanding says that we are missing something somewhere.

Thanks u guys in advance.

Niranjan