  • Subject: RE: Help me for Java/400
  • From: "Richard Dean" <rddean@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 09:55:10 -0500

Bharat,

I think the best thing is to go to the Sun site(http://java.sun.com/jdk/)
and download the latest JDK. Then get a book like "Java 2 in 24 Hours" or
any number of books (look on Amazon.com, I think I remember seeing a "Java
for RPG" book somewhere).  Anyway I think it is easiest to learn java is
with a book, the DOS editor, and Sun's JDK.  That way you do not have to get
involved with Java IDE's until you have gotten your feet wet.  Of course
once you get going with that then you can get into the fun stuff like AS/400
access with the Toolbox.

As for the demand for Java/400 programmers in this country, I really don't
know.  I think Java on the AS/400 is just another great thing for a great
machine.  Of course the opinions of this list may be a little askew! :-)

Good luck...