Hi Alex.

I agree with your position on Java for the AS/400.
It is not the only environment to implement AS/400 applications in today
(RPG and others exist).
It is not the ideal systems language for developing tools.
It can have performance issues in some application scenarios.

That said, it is the FIRST choice to look at for implementing any AS/400
application today.
It has more networking support, development productivity, good runtime
support,
 very good database support, good user interfaces, better e-business
middleware and
 better object support  than any other environment possible for the AS/400
today.
It can easily reuse existing RPG or COBOL applications as components for
business logic
and transaction processing speeding the implementation of new applications
and
reusing existing AS/400 skill sets where possible.

Tools like VisualAge for Java that offer powerful visual programming
support and
code generation speed the migration for developers new to Java.

In summary, Java is not the only choice for applications on the AS/400.  In
some
circumstances I'll choose to reuse existing applications or develop new
function
in another environment for a critical performance scenario.   Other than
those
limitations, Java is a great choice for building applications especially
for
anything e-business related.....

Jim Mason

Message text written by INTERNET:JAVA400-L@midrange.com

Gene,

>but I guess you like to just play with toys... not real programming ..

I expect this kind of personal attack discussion on the open newsgroups.  I
have come to expect more professional behavior on the java400 mailing list.
Gene, if you cant keep your discussion civil and professional, perhaps you
should look elsewhere.

I for one am committed to the use of Java on an as/400 to solve my business
problems NOW.  I am not waiting for something else to come along later.
This mailing list is a place where other people who share this view come
together to solve problems and MAKE IT HAPPEN.

If anyone thinks I am out of line here , let me know.  Am I expecting too
much?

Alex Garrison