  • Subject: JTextArea
  • From: "Richard Dean" <rddean@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:45:15 -0500

I am working with a dialog pop-up window(Dialog) and a JTextArea.  When I
add the empty JTextArea(setup with 5 lines down and 20 columns across),
using "new JTextArea(5,20)", to the dialog box; I get a nice box that is
indeed 5 x 20 in size.  This is what I expected.

When I add a ".setText" command on the JTextArea to put text in the box, my
text area expands and is no longer 5 x 20(The test String the I added to the
box is 54 bytes long, if that helps any).

I expected the text to automatically wrap in the box.  I did not expect the
box to expand.  Is there away to keep the text area from expanding and too
automatically fit the text into the 5x20 textarea?

I am assuming that this has to do with my flowlayout? maybe?  Also I could
automatically wrap the text myself, but If I need to do that I need to be
able to set the font to some font that all the characters are of the same
size(I think it is called proportional).

Any help would be appreciated, and hopefully my rambling did not confuse the
issue.

Thanks,
Richard