Perhaps some further detail will give a better idea where my questions (and
misconceptions?) are.

 We are currently running WebLogic and our EJBs on another platform and
accessing DB2/400 (or is it DB2 UDB for AS/400).  I expect that we will
eventually be supporting it running on the AS/400 too, which it is my
understanding that it will do.

Currently this is for inquiry only, but we will need to be implementing
some updates soon.  Our desire is to use container managed persistence and
JTS where/if practical.

I can't say that I have a deep understanding of what is going on, but I
gather that you configure a JTS compliant transaction server, and that is
used to control the (potentially distributed) transactions.  Transaction
characteristics are defined in the EJB's deployment descriptor, causing
transactions to be established and committed or rolled back.

I further believe that this functions only when using JDBC, at least in
relation to container managed persistence.

My original broad questions are below, but perhaps the following will help
get me on the right track.  Is it the responsibility of the transaction
server to assure the ability to control transactions, regardless of the
available support on any target database?  In other words, if I am not
journaling my files on the 400, and therefore not able to implement
commitment control under DB2.../400, does the transaction server take care
of it itself through its own artifice, are the transaction characteristics
ignored, or will it throw an exception of some sort?

Thanks some more.

Can anyone speak to the considerations for implementing JTS against the
AS/400?  (JTS against anything else would hopefully be of use too.)  I'm
interested in does and don'ts, performance considerations, configuration
options, portability concerns - you name it.

Of particular interest is information about the impact of running with or
without journaling and commitment control.

All information appreciated.