  • Subject: Re: Stored Procedures
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:28:43 -0600

Chanh,

I have used triggers extensively.  I have found that triggers do not adversely
affect performance.  My experience has been that equivalent systems using
triggers and alternate methods, will perform similarly.  However, the
development time and resources devoted to developing those systems
was significantly reduced.

Triggers can help you to encapsulate your application logic with your
database.   Unless you provide one, there is no "back door" which is a
good thing.  For this reason some functions like directly loading a table
using SQL may take longer, but triggers can help ensure the integrity of
your data.  There are many techniques that can be used which make
maintenance just as flexible with triggers as without.  If you give a specific
example of how triggers make maintenance inflexible, I may be able to help
you address your concerns.

David Morris

>>> "Chanh Le" <Chanh_Le@countrywide.com> 07/23/99 09:02AM >>>

Wrote:
<I can't tell you how many times I've been told that you could use Java for
SP's
and triggers.  That was one of the primary deciding points to our selection
of
an AS/400.  The scariest part of the whole thing was finding out how many
AS/400
developers and sales people at IBM (and everywhere else) don't know what a
stored proc or trigger is.>

Following is my personal opinion not from my company.
(it might not be correct)

I guess AS/400 is a database machine, therefore, all programs on AS/400 are
stored procedures.  So AS/400 community simply call them as "programs"
because there no other type of program.  Instead of storing applications in
an application sever (a shared drived) and "stored procedures" on a
database server (another shared drive).   Everything is stored in one place
- AS/400.

For programs attached to table called as triggers, it seems not widely
accepted.  I think it does not work correctly for mass I/O.   And for big
tables shared by multiple departments, triggers will impact the perfommence
of machine.  Finally, because of the static process of triggers, a table is
no longer flexible for maintenance, unless maintaining it in weekend when
no application running - dropping, modifying table, and put it back.
Triggers would be perfect for personal or very small group database.