  • Subject: Re: Websphere and classpath
  • From: "John Hilton IV" <jhilton4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:18:18 -0500

I am also having a similar problem even with their "IBM WebSphere...Getting
Started" tutorial:

http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/http/services/WASInfo.htm

I can not get my compiled servlet class HelloWorldWebSphere servlet class
invoked through the browser, but can get IBM's servlet classes invoked.
I've been dealing with IBM's-Hotline since last Thursday  (7/15/98) to no
avail.

I too am concerned about the price tag, since we don't have a contract with
them and the last time I used them in April on a  Digital Certificate
Manager problem involving Client Authenification and Digital Certificates
with Netscape when I was my own Certificate Manager (IE Explorer worked
fine) resulted in a bill for $728.17.  And  it never got fixed, i.e. "Call
Netscape, it's their problem".  I finally disabled Client Authenification.

Back to the problem, I'm on V4R4, downloaded and apply every PTF I can find,
double checked and rechecked the Classpath (WRKENVVAR) and the
jvm.properties file, etc.  Plus, we have two AS/400's and have the same
identical problem, i.e. HTTP 404 - File not found, on both boxes, but can
serve IBM's servlet classes with no problem.

Also we tried using someone else servlet class that works on their WebSphere
site, but not on mine. Note: we also have installed NetCommerce on both
AS/400's and I/Net's Commerce Server and Webulator/400 on one of the AS/400.
My buddy's AS/400 who is happy with his WebSphere does not have any of these
products loaded.  IBM is now looking at the possibility that NetCommerce
conflicts with WebSphere, but I think they are grasping at straws.

Excuse my editorial comments, but it is rather frustrating.  I never had
these problems on the System/3 or 38.

Anybody have any ideas what to do next?

Thanks,

John Hilton