  • Subject: RE: want to start..
  • From: "Salim Chandani" <salim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:48:49 -0500

Ketan,
Most all Java programming can be accomplished on the PC using either Visual
Cafe or JBuilder or Visualage for Java or Visual J++ or Sun's JDK and the
class files can then be deployed on the AS/400 IFS system.  You can also
code on the AS/400 and compile in Qshell.  You may want to upgrade to V4R3
and get the latest PTFs for IBM HTTP server(WebSphere) since there have been
a lot of enhancements in TCP/IP in V4R3 and in the HTTP server.  Couple of
books on Java but not specific to AS/400 are:
Java in a Nutshell by David Flanagan
Java Servlet Programming (if you are planning on creating servlets) by
Hunter & Crawford
These are both O'Reilly publications.
IBM and News/400 have put a documentation pertaining to setting up Java and
WebSphere on their web-sites.  A few helpful links are:
http://www.news400.com/jes/May-Jun98/Seven/Seven.html seven essential Java
commands on AS/400
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/online/v4r2eng.htm for v4r2
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/online/v4r3eng.htm for v4r3
http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/http/services/WASInfo.htm for WebSphere
You can write to me directly if you have questions.

Good luck.
-Salim

Salim Chandani
R&D, Kingland Systems Corporation