        Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to respond to my questions.  It

appears there are 20-30 list members who are willing to post to the list.
Most seem to be only beginning with Java.  I have an idea for a
discussion that may be useful to everyone and that everyone can possibly
contribute. What approaches are being used to learn Java?  The syntax of
Java is simple but to master how to use the language to take advantage of
object-oriented principles is another story.  I'll start by sharing some
of my experiences.  I have not taken any formal classes on java.  I'm
learning by reading books and reading documentation on the internet.  (ie
Sun's site and the documentation included with the AS/400 Toolbox for
Java)  I have purchased numerous books. (Gets kind of expensive)  The
only problem is the books seem to be obsolete a month after they get
published and the books that get published seem to be rushed out the
door.  (ie numerous mistakes and not much depth)  I would like to find
more books that give in-depth business examples.  Many of the books give
brief examples to demonstrate a concept, but I would like to see examples
that put all the pieces together.  Here are some thoughts on some
references.  I don't claim to be an expert, so if you disagree with my
opinion, that's fine.  Just explain why you disagree.  Hopefully this
discussion will help anyone trying to learn java.
1) Sun internet site - Good starting point. Not as well structured as a
book might be.  Also I think a good book on a particular topic might give
more information.
2) Toolbox documentation - Good reference for working with AS/400 and
some nice examples but not great depth.  You have to experiment to learn
all the details.
3) Java in a Nutshell - Good brief reference.  (Better for a C or C++
programmer)
4) Core Java Vol I and II - I've read most of Vol. I.  I thought it
helped me.
5) Core Java Foundation Classes - The best book on Swing that I found.  I
liked the book.  It helped alot in learning swing.  It could have more
depth.
6) Java for RPG programmers - I have not read it but I have heard good
things. I heard it's a good starting point for RPG programmers since many
of the java books are tailored to C programmers.
7) VisualAge for Java - I found the documentation to be very poor as a
teaching tool.  Very brief tutorial.

This is just some of the better sources I have used to develop my
understanding of Java. With the release of Java 2 some of these books may
be obsolete.  I'm sure in the next few months there will be numerous new
books and new editions of old books to support the release of Java 1.2.
I repeat, I'm just starting with java so my opinion might not be worth
very much, but hopefully this might get a healthy discussion going.
Anyone else have any thoughts on the best way to learn java or any
sources that others might find useful?   I know everyone is busy, Y2K and
all that, but maybe this mail list could become a good reference if
everyone contributes alittle. :)