  • Subject: RE: does anyone post to this list?
  • From: "THORN Serge (GVA)" <Serge.THORN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:47:21 +0200

My company is starting a Java Pilot project with VisualAge for Java
Enterprise 2.0 (pre-release) and V4R3 (pre-release).

We do not want to directly use the AS/400 Toolbox for Java to access any
AS/400 resources but aim to benefit from this project, to be able to access
any AS/400 components (programs or anyother AS/400 objects) from various
platforms. I mean Visual Basic, Visual C++ and at last Java applications.
Therefore we directly want to structure our applications in such a  way that
any remote components on the AS/400 are reachable by any type of client.
This model is supposed to be a three-tier architecture.

In order to accomplish this project, we plan to use OMG's CORBA. You have
probably noticed that IBM is sometimes publishing that the AS/400 is going
to implement CORBA natively in one of the next releases (but when?). CORBA
is without doubt (to me) the most adapted technology for Enterprise
applications in heterogeneous environments.

Now, for this project we have to choose one of the available ORBs on the
market!

CBC Component Broker Connection is probably not aimed at AS/400 for ages! In
TechInt Orlando I had a chat with Cynthia McFall (CBC Project Manager) who
told me that CBC was a long way off from  being ported to the AS/400. They
are actually focusing at S/390.

ORBIX from Iona technologies is maybe a candidate, but no information
available.

Inprise (ex-Borland) sounds a serious candidate. VisiBroker for Java 3.3
(just released)  is supposed to be working on the AS/400. To enforce this
possibility, do not forget that the JBuilder/2 product is closely linked to
the AS/400 with the Java Toolbox (they package the product with the name
JBuilder/400). Relationships between Inprise and IBM lets us suppose this
eventuality. Furthermore if you go on this URL
http://www.inprise.com/visibroker/solsheet/#Summary
<http://www.inprise.com/visibroker/solsheet/#Summary>
under Platform Availability, you'll find the OS/400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last but not least, there was an announcement a couple of days ago from BEA
(Tuxedo, M3, also an ORB provider) which has acquired the company WebLogic!
http://www.weblogic.com <http://www.weblogic.com>  and
http://www.beasys.com/weblogic/ <http://www.beasys.com/weblogic/>
Weblogic's Tengah product is also supposed to be the first EJB Server on the
AS/400!!! If you go to this URL http://www.weblogic.com/press/980901ibm.html
<http://www.weblogic.com/press/980901ibm.html>  you'll see the
announcement!!

Very confusing, isn't????

Can any persons amongst you who are in the same situation add more info or
share experiences?

Regards

Serge Thorn.vcf