  • Subject: Re: What makes Java so special?
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 06:40:34 PDT

** Reply to note from DAsmussen@aol.com Sun, 23 Nov 1997 19:24:50 -0500 (EST)

[snip]

> Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the client object should be
> platform-specific.  I just thought that your "broker", for example, would

I know. I just meant to point out that in an object based system it could be.
Even if it were writting in an object oriented language (like C++, for
instance).

> call an ODBC server as a "generic" database server _BUT_ could _also_ call an
> APPC connect such as ESS/400 in an instance where the AS/400 was the target
> to improve performance.  Wrong?

The object broker should be able to interface between any compliant objects.
If it is a CORBA broker, and the request comes in for something from a CORBA
compliant object, whether the object is on an AS/400 or a wristwatch, it
should be able to broker it.

My difficulty in this is visualizing the data base as the object. Perhaps
that is because I have never done object brokering, just read and talked
about it. I guess I tend to put objects in programming perspectives when I
think of them.

I guess sending an SQL command to ESSbase would be like sending a message to
any object. Even if that returned a large data set. ESS and DB2 are
implemented on many platforms, but the object broker and the requester need
not have any idea what kind of platform the target system is.

Is that what you meant? Then Yup, that's right! I thought you meant that
applications developed using object oriented languages were supposed to be
platform independant.

They should be easier to port, since you can port the components, but that is
about it.

> Dean Asmussen

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.