Patrick

At 11:09 AM 11/16/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>I've looked at the IBM Java Toolkit and I've been wondering about some
>things related to the Java strategy for the AS/400:
>
>The JVM in the Java Toolkit lacks support for AWT. Without AWT, exactly
>how will developers write native Java applets for the AS/400 that can
>port to other platforms?

Are you referring to the pre-release JVM from Hursley, or to the AS/400
Toolkit for Java? The former does not have support for AWT, true, but the
400 does not have native graphical ability. (I _do_ believe that it might
be possible, however, to support AWT, even on a green screen, by using
analogous display paradigms—subfiles for list boxes, etc., or use UIM or
the display APIs. JMHO!)

OTOH, the Toolkit is a set of JavaBeans and other classes. These beans are
fully usable in VA for Java's visual development environment.

>The Redbook on writing Java applications spends a lot of time describing
>the Visual Age development environment and how to write applications
>that use Data Queues, etc. on the AS/400. Since data queues are only
>supported on the AS/400 how will these Java applications really be
>platform independent? A Java application that is 100 percent Java on the
>client but not on the server is of questionable value, I would think.

It's important, I believe, to distinguish between Java itself (the JVM) and
classes written in Java. A Java app using the data queue classes _will_, of
course, be specific to the 400. But this is NOT the same as the statement
that this particular app can run on any platform with a JVM (and probably
AWT). The same issue exists for any client/server situation, where you need
to decide, in the design, whether to write it so that various backend
platforms will be accessed or not.

>There are probably Billions of dollars invested by customers in green
>screen applications. How will IBM help customers retain the value of
>this investment via the Java implementation on the AS/400?

Good question. But see my first comment above.

>I'm glad the AS/400 division is working with Java but I'm worried that
>it will be a half-hearted effort that forgets the incredible investment
>already made by IBM's midrange customers. If the effort results in a
>poor implementation it will turn out to be just another reason why
>developers will leave the AS/400 platform.

>From everything I'm hearing, this effort is hardly half-hearted. But we do
have reasons to be a little wary, too.

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 371-1111 x480