  • Subject: Re: What makes Java so special?
  • From: Patrick Townsend <townsend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:09:20 -0800

Hi Chris,

I've looked at the IBM Java Toolkit and I've been wondering about some
things related to the Java strategy for the AS/400:

The JVM in the Java Toolkit lacks support for AWT. Without AWT, exactly
how will developers write native Java applets for the AS/400 that can
port to other platforms?

The Redbook on writing Java applications spends a lot of time describing
the Visual Age development environment and how to write applications
that use Data Queues, etc. on the AS/400. Since data queues are only
supported on the AS/400 how will these Java applications really be
platform independent? A Java application that is 100 percent Java on the
client but not on the server is of questionable value, I would think.

There are probably Billions of dollars invested by customers in green
screen applications. How will IBM help customers retain the value of
this investment via the Java implementation on the AS/400?

I'm glad the AS/400 division is working with Java but I'm worried that
it will be a half-hearted effort that forgets the incredible investment
already made by IBM's midrange customers. If the effort results in a
poor implementation it will turn out to be just another reason why
developers will leave the AS/400 platform.

Any thoughts?
Patrick

--

Patrick Townsend                       mailto:townsend@patownsend.com