Rick

At 07:00 AM 10/18/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Do you port Java byte code or java source code?  what does the byte code
>look like? is it readable or is it more along the lines of a compiled
>language?
>
>also, what about access to data queues?  what is a mac, unix or windows
>box going to make of that?

You port the byte code. It's along the lines of a compiles language. Every
JVM is supposed to be able to interpret these byte codes for its platform.
That's the basis of the 'write once, run anywhee' concept.

As far as data queues go, what the app gets is just data—it knows diddly
about DQ's. The Java class is imported into the app, and that's what knows
how to get to a DQ.

>> This means that a Java application will run stand-alone on a Macintosh, a
>> Linux box, a Windows NT box, or an AS/400 (no AWT stuff, though),
>
>not even with a windows client?  I would think that to "speak gui" to a
>client would be a priority to make java acceptable to the rest of the
>world.

The bit about no AWT applies only to the AS/400, for now. There is no
implementation of AWT at the moment for the 400 green screen, although I've
sent the hint to the development team at Hursley to use green screen
replacements for the GUI paradigms, like subfiles for list boxes, etc.

>> so long
>> as the JVM exists on the box where it is running. And an applet will run in
>> any browser or applet viewer, no matter where it is served from.
>>
>> As far as "tuning" the app, I consider this a lot of sales babble.
>> According to the ToolKit docs, everything uses the host servers, so there's
>> no tuning, as such.
>
>> All this is AFAIK, YMMV.
>I got the ymmv, what is afaik?

As far as I know, I think.

Cheers
Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55401-2499
(612) 371-1111 x480