Gartner analyst Eric Knipp writes as follows:

"IBMâs EGL is a business-oriented language and deployment tool for the
development of Web 2.0 Ajax applications that span several platforms
including mainframes/iSeries (COBOL), Java EE, and the browser
(JavaScript). It is especially well-suited for enterprises with heavy
legacy investments that they want to resurface with Web 2.0 instead of
replacing those assets or spending a lot of time building a SOA strategy.
The book is an easy read -- especially if you skim the language syntax
examples -- and illustrates that IBMâs engineers put a lot of thought into
the design of EGL. Itâs worth reading even if you donât plan to use EGL in
your enterprise, because it has content geared both at programmers and
managers who need to understand the platform, and also because EGL
provides an interesting thought experiment. There arenât many examples of
languages/compilation tools that take one high-level syntax and compile
down to several other high-level languages. While you probably donât need
to read this if you are outside the IT modernization space, it is
interesting nonetheless, and the conversational tone makes it easy to get
through. The first couple chapters in particular are well worth a read for
any IT professional as they provide a great introduction to the role of IT
in competitive strategy (for non-technology firms) and to the subject of
Web 2.0. Recommended (3/5)."

from http://blogs.gartner.com/eric-knipp/2009/07/11/two-in-one/

--- Saul Ben Margolis