Pete, I don't know if you copied in your source, or re-typed it into the note.
"onExection" should be "onException" but you should have received clear syntax errors on that, if the source really contained that.
Also, regarding the linkage section: type = reomteCall ---> remoteCall, but I'm guessing that was just a typo creating the forum note.

package com.vcpi.services
service submit
cmdString string;
cmdLength decimal(15,5);
returnVal string;

function submit(payor string in) returns(string)
syslib.setRemoteUser("<snip>", "<snip>");
cmdString = "ADDLIBLE LIB(FOO)";
cmdLength = strLib.byteLen(cmdString);
try
call "QCMDEXC" (cmdString, cmdLength);
onExection (ex AnyException)
returnVal = ex.messageID + " " + ex.message;
end
return(returnVal);
end
end

eglbld has the following linkage section:
pgmName = QCMDEXC
type = reomteCall
alias = QCMDEXC
conversionTable = CSOE037
library = QSYS (tried empty, %LIBL%)
location = <the actual host name> (tried IP address and
PROGRAMCONTROLLED in conjunction with the serverID value)
luwControl = SERVER
package = (tried com.vcpi.services - thats the package name for the
service, as well as empty)
remoteBind = tried both GENERATION and RUNTIME
remoteComType = JAVA400
remotePgmType = STATELESS (tried STATEFUL too, but it's not)
serverID = (tried the actual host name in conjunction with
PROGRAMCONTROLLED for the location.)