I uninstalled everything, re-installed to the base distribution levels
(no updates), and was then able to complete the exercise. I have not
decided whether I want to risk applying updates again...

Installed Packages and Fixes
IBM(r) Rational(r) Developer for i 7.5
IBM(r) Rational(r) Business Developer 7.5.1
IBM(r) Rational(r) HATS 7.5.0
IBM(r) WebSphere(r) Application Server Version 6.1 Test Environment
6.1.0.19

For what it's worth, it seems the error occurred when creating the EGL
project, during the installation of facets to the project. In the
environment that failed, none of the facets (of which " Dynamic Web
Module 2.4" is the first to load) were installed. After reverting to
base levels, these facets were correctly installed when creating the
project.

I tried to create an EGL Web Project on another user's installation that
had the fixes applied (I did his install like I did my own), and I saw
the same problem on his. Facets were not installed during project
creation....

Hth,
Eric DeLong