Frank,

I too would love to see as simple a way to develop and architect a
browser-based application. I loved the way I could write and read to and
from screens just like any other file within my COBOL or RPG programs. I
think the simplicity of everything being in one program is a big part of
what made the platform so popular and successful. However, I think I can
see IBM's viewpoint on this. What browser are you targeting? What device
are you targeting? All these things enter the picture when you put an
application on the internet. EGL hides all that complexity from you. Did
you check out the RSDC scheduler application Joe pointed out? It targets
various browsers and devices because EGL generates the code to do this.
Then who knows what other devices you may need to target down the road.
Here at the shop I'm in, I think we could pretty easily limit the target
device/browser for what we would do. However, IBM can't set it up just
for me. (It would be nice if they could, but that's not realistic.)

EGL is not that difficult to learn (at least not what I've done so far).
The hard part is getting your hands on it for more than the 60-day (or is
it 90-day) trial. I started working with EGL back on WDSC 6, so we took
advantage of the RBDe entitlements IBM made available when the ripped EGL
out of WDSC with version 7. Now, our entitlement technically upgrades us
to RBD. RBD is a nice package, but the SWMA costs of RBD and RDi combined
are going to shut down any possibility for use in our organization. We'll
have to spend $759 a year per developer. If they would translate our RBDe
to RDi-SOA, it would cut that by almost half, but even $399 a year per
developer is going to be a hard sell.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International