Title *

Standard Notes 8 Client's Embedded Browser does not cache url entries
similar to Toolbar's Address box
Abstract *
This field is displayed on the search results webpage seen by customers,
and effects search ranking and relevance.
In pre-8 Clients, you could enter a url via the Address box on the Toolbar
and if Notes & IE was selected as the Browser, then any url's entered
would be cached to the local notes.ini file. To enter an additional url,
you would enter it in the Address box in the Toolbar. If you closed the
client and reopened, you could click on the dropdown to view the url's for
selection next time.

In Notes 8, if you use the Embedded browser, you can launch the browser
by clicking on Open/Web Browser. When this browser window is closed and
if reopened, there are no previously cached url's to select from with the
dropdown. Review of the Notes.ini file reveal no storage of url entries
as in pre-8 Client releases.

Again, using the Embedded browser, this time enable the Address box
within the Toolbar, by selecting
View (menu)/Toolbar/Address. Now, upon entering a url within this window,
the browser window will appear and display the html page. Again, any
entries at the browser window will not be cached for selection/review in
the dropdown. You no longer can see the Address box from the Toolbar
within this browser window and must close it for the Toolbar to reappear
to enter a new url there instead to be stored by the Client. From the
dropdown next to Address box, you will see the immediate url's entered to
launch the browser window, but not any additional one's entered at the
browser window. If you close the Notes Client and review the notes.ini
file, you will see stored entries for the url addresses accessed.

The customer experience between launching and using the Embedded
Browser window and url's and
the Address box on the Toolbar and it's caching ability is confusing.
There should be a common effort
to cache url entries from both, or if not, explain why one rules over the
other to help customers understand
respective limitations of the Notes 8 Standard Client Embedded browser
experience.

Question *
Does the Standard Notes 8 Client's Embedded Browser cache url entries
similar to Toolbar's Address box?

Cause
The Notes Client will cache url entries made via the Address box on the
Toolbar within the local notes.ini file as "URLAddress<number>".

Content *
No. To store url's viewed with the Embedded Browser for the Standard Notes
8 Client, you should
launch the url via the Address box within the Toolbar.

Any additional url's launched from the Embedded Browser window will:
- only be available in that dropdown until the window is closed
- not be stored within the local notes.ini file
- not appear in the dropdown for the Address box within the Toolbar
- not be available upon re-launch of the Client
- not be available from the History bookmark

Walter Scanlan
Senior Software Engineer
Office: 507-286-6088
Cell: 507-990-4539