Lots of great information, and you've nailed the cause  --  we have an
unfortunately high percentage of users with FTI set to immediate to
support a third-party product.  The product apparently only sees new
messages after they've been indexed and hourly was not fast enough to suit
them.  Changing it back to hourly is gradually becoming more likely now
that the initial excitement of the new product is trailing off, but I
don't have a date I can put on my calendar yet.  Am I correct in thinking
that UPDATE_SUPPRESSION_TIME will basically prevent the system from
indexing the same mail file within the stated time?

Looking into UPDATE_SUPPRESSION_TIME, I see that there is also an
UPDATE_SUPPRESSION_LIMIT that takes a 0 or 1 toggle, but I don't see a lot
of explanation for exactly what it does.  Do you know?  They also warn
that this will increase the load on the CPU, which seems to be
counter-intuitive, considering what I've been seeing -- I don't have more
CPU to use!  But I'm assuming that's compared to the normal CPU load of
someone that's not running their indexing like we are...

My Update task currently seems to operate on one database at a time.  If a
single database takes over 60% of my CPU, I'm not sure it would be a good
idea to add another Update task -- wouldn't that just open the door for
another massive drain on resources?

Thanks for the response!
Patrick

seanmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces+ptrapp=nex-tech.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/10/2006 08:54 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: Restricting a process

Patrick,

Make sure the full text indexes are set to hourly instead of immediate.
Very few users
ever need an immediate full text index update on their email database.

That will keep very active databases from consuming all of your CPU. Watch

the console during
heavy usage to determine which databases are using up all of the CPU. Some

may have allot of folders
and a Full Text index with attachment indexing. Attachment indexing is
bad, disable it where possible.

UPDATE_SUPRESSION_TIME= is the ini variable to Queue the index jobs to
make it
more efficient. Indexer is the most CPU intensive job, and is rarely idle.

Try UPDATE_SUPRESSION_TIME=10

You can also use multiple Update tasks, via the ini variable UPDATERS=X

We run 3 on servers with allot of email databases.

If you want to restrict update or updall at the OS level then you can
easily create a user class (CRTCLS)
to do so on iSeries for Job Run Priority. We do it here and have set
Update to a priority of 30, to insure it does
not pin the CPUs.

You will find a number of posts on CRTCLS it if you search the forum.

Regards,

Sean