Thanks for the reply, Chris.  I always forget netstat...

We have an SMTP gateway, yes.  It is responsible for all mail coming to
the box from outside the firewall.  An ever-growing number of systems
within the firewall connect to it, but I can identify them by IP rather
easily.

The connections to the server are almost all 1352 client connections.
There are a few web access connections and the expected SMTP connections.
There is a strange group of connections, though, at least to me.  There
are connections from the server to its own IP address.  Is that normal? Of
course, as I'm looking at netstat, there's no problems in evidence,
either.  I'll have to try again when it's going crazy.

I did finally see something strange in the logs last time it acted up.
Lots of "send failed (did not timeout) Remote server no longer responding"
to the SMTP gateway.  I was on the phone with the admin of the gateway at
the time -- they were up and running and not particularly busy at the
time, so he had no idea why I might not be able to connect to his
servers...

Patrick

Chris Whisonant <Chris.Whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: domino400-bounces+ptrapp=nex-tech.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/17/2005 02:20 PM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: CPU Spiking

You can always check netstat and see if there are odd connections coming
in to your box.

Do you have a SMTP gateway that sends all incoming mail to your box? If so

that should be one of the only ones coming to yourserver...

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/

domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on
08/17/2005 03:15:40 PM: