Bob,

I think you slightly miss Rob's point.  One of the GREAT things about
running Domino on an iSeries was that you could run multiple Domino servers
along with Quickplace on the same iSeries without problems and without
LPAR.  It is what we are doing.  I thought this was one of their selling
points for running Domino on an iSeries too.  We have a small iSeries that
can't be LPARed. So we are stuck on the old versions of Domino and
Quickplace until IBM figures it out. Or we go out and buy another box,
which defeats the whole purpose of an iSeries. Plus it is not economically
feasible at this time.

What I can't understand is why can't we load Domino 6 into one directory
and Domino 5.0.? + Quickplace into another directory on the IFS and have
them both running side by side?.?.  According to the marketing stuff, this
is just not supported or doable.  I think Rob did say he had something like
this working though.  We do things like this using libraries and library
lists all the time when running "normal" iSeries programs.

-- Scott Johnson

rob@dekko.com wrote:

><snip>
>This crud of pushing lpar has got to stop.  The i in iSeries is supposed
to stand for integrated.  Not the NT mantra of using a separate server for
each task.

>Rob Berendt

Rob,
LPAR is a good thing. We have several situations where we have reduced
the number of physical systems, by LPARing a larger box. Neat thing, our
total cost was lower, due to licensing and support costs.  But it has to
be used wisely. Don't fire up multiple LPARs to seperate applications
that have coexisted on a single system/partition, just because you can.
If there are sound business or technical reasons, go for it. It really
adds an additional level of flexibility to the iSeries.
Bob Larkin