Dan, I understand your points. However, nobody's under any obligation to
take a job where the terms of employment aren't satisfactory.

Let's clean up your logic on the expense of ACA coverage. It's going to be
a minimum of $12K/year, or $1K/month, which (these days) isn't a
surprisingly high amount (wait until you see how expensive Medicare is!).
You'll spend up to $12K if you get sick, so stay healthy: get your shots
(flu and COVID) and wear a face mask, not because The Man tells you to
but because the science is irrefutable and because masking up has been
hospital policy for 100 years. I run COVID vaccination clinics with
60-person teams and have yet to get COVID. So, your health care expenses
will range between $1K and $2K/month, with the possibility you could get
hammered in any one month by high expenses. I insured myself in the early
90's (pre-ACA) and Blue Cross was pricey but those were good days in the
AS/400 world.

Finding a group is clearly the best solution. Having an insured spouse is
another option, as is turning 65 (done both, recommend neither). A group
of enterprising 1099'ers (not necessarily just programmers) could get
together and form an LLC solely for medical insurance.

Speaking of employment in general: IMO there's not a shortage of
programmers. There is a shortage of good programmers and there is a
shortage of good employers. Headhunters make more money on turning over
1099's gigs than they do making good employee placements. Labor laws make
having employees hard work and firing employees even harder work, so I
understand the attraction of 1099'ers to employers. But the best talent
isn't going to work for the lowest wages and that's a message many IT
hiring managers ignore.