From: Consult400 <consult400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Larry
"DrFranken" Bolhuis
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2023 8:14 PM
To: Consulting on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
<consult400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Dan <dan27649@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Consult400] Insurance options for 1099 gigs

Another of the oddities of Obamacare was that it made it much harder for
people to get together to get group insurance. His successor did issue some
presidential directive/decree/whatever that made that easier. My wife's
employer jumped on that and formed an insurance group that was specifically
targeted at tiny companies including independent contractors. The actual
insurance was blue cross and included dental and optical options. As a
large group, costs were about 1/3 what the ACA could provide. It took off
and in just a few months they had thousands of small companies signed.
Insurance companies in all 49 other states inquired about how to do this,
and the bosses agreed to form a consulting company to teach and assist.
Sadly a judge stepped in less than a year later and said: "Oh No, you can't
have people who do different things in the same insurance pool! That's
illegal per the ACA!" and shut down the entire thing after just one year.
Thing is though consider General Motors. At one point in the past a GM
President
said: "I'm not so much administering a car company but an insurance plan
that happens to make cars." Then consider that across the entire GM
enterprise there are people that do thousands of different jobs from simple
paperwork to heavy welding, hauling, stamping, etc. Likely they have as wide
a range of jobs as the aforementioned group had. BUT since they are 'one
company' they are allowed to put all those folks in the same policy. Just
shows one way how government makes so little sense.
- DrF