From: Consult400 <consult400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of
DrFranken
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:29 PM
To: Consulting on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
<consult400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Consult400] Long-term RPG Contract in Detroit

OK you guys are pretty sensitive today!! Must be a Monday after the shortest
weekend of the entire year!

First it does matter, I see a LOT of shops. Those who call it AS/400 or
iSeries are almost all still using DDS and SEU and record level access in
fixed form RPG and have enough queries to choke a horse. They apply the
'moreon' principle to their screens and reports. They mostly put all new
things on other platforms. They are 'Happy' when Domino is replaced by O36.5
or Exchange because "it's one less hassle to deal with." Too many see the
system as 'it's still hear.'

Those who call it IBM i almost all are stretching their skills toward RDi
and Free form RPG with embedded SQL and DDL described files. They are
presenting data to their uses with various web technologies. They are
implementing partitions to separate development and user acceptance and QA.
They are implementing at least some level of DR or HA. These folks are much
more likely to see the system as mission critical and driving their business
forward.

Of course this won't be true for all in either case, YMMV.

But honestly what is the harm in using the name IBM has used for well over a
decade? Most of you won't call a POWER9 a POWER5 so why call IBM i iSeries
or AS/400?? Why give fuel to all those who don't know our amazing platform
who think it's old, incapable, and slow. If they hear a
30 year old name they think 30 year old platform when it's anything but
that!!

To the point made about 'it's money'. Sure I get that and sometimes you do
need to drink the customer's kool-aid to get in but it doesn't mean you
can't teach them something while you're there.

Sorry if I've awoken the curmudgeons among us.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com